Sunday, November 15, 2015

Presidents, Past and Present

This is (formerly) President and Matron of the São Paulo Temple
 Rita and Paulo Puerta


When I first came to the temple, shortly after our arrival in July 2014,
one of my sr. missionary friends introduced me to Sis. Puerta.
She speaks a little English because she has grandchildren in the U. S.  :)
(However, this does not always happen. I have met many women who speak no English
and they never have a conversation with their American-resident grandchildren)  :( 
Anyway, with the help of my friend, Sis. Wilkins; I asked Sis. Puerta if I may please
serve here while we are living in São Paulo.  I explained that I had previously been working
 for four years at the Oquirrh Mountain temple, so I felt somewhat qualified.   
She said definitely yes, but I had to wait until the temple re-opened 
early in Sept. after a month of cleaning/refurbishing/etc.

This worked perfectly for me, giving me time to settle in and help get
Elder Hallzinho started in his new assignment in Family Search.

Pres. Puerta interviewed me on Sept. 3, 2014 at 9:00 am.
His "broken" English was so charming.  He is such a humble, kind man.
He then gave me a beautiful, Portuguese blessing to set me apart as a
Oficiante do Templo
I could feel his and Heavenly Father's love during that prayer
without needing to know all the words.
At times like this, there is a special "spirit to spirit" communication.


During our regular devotionals, one of the temple Presidency speaks to us.
When I sit with someone who can translate, I learn so much from Pres. Puerta.

He told of a day when a six-yr-old boy entered the front doors of the temple.
When asked if he was looking for someone, he replied 
that he needed to come in to say a prayer for his parents.
The President was touched that this small boy knew about the power of the temple.


He told us on another day, that the temple represents Jesus Christ 
and that when we come here, we are in His presence.


He counseled us that as we interact with patrons (and anyone in general)
that it is often "better to break a rule than to break a heart"
(Elder Hugh B. Brown)
But also very important, to follow the spirit.


Another time he told of the previous night, that he had attended a party where most of 
the people there were very engaged in speaking about Brazil and all of it's problems.
It was a very negative and discouraging discussion and he left feeling depressed.
After some reflection, he remembered that he has faith that
Heavenly Father will take care of things.
We don't need to worry.

This is representative of Pres. Puerta's personality and cheerful heart.
He is loved by many members here in São Paulo.

~


Front lawn of São Paulo Stake Center

On a Sunday evening last December, there was a Christmas Devotional 
for all temple workers and their spouses, held at the Stake Center next to the temple.  
We invited Randy, but unfortunately he declined.  
We didn't persist because I thought he might be bored with all the Portuguese talks.  
My husband graciously translated for me.

The meeting turned out to be mostly beautiful music for the season.
There was one number performed by a mother and her child.
They sang an unforgettable arrangement of "Tell Me the Stories of Jesus". 
I regretted that Randy had missed this spiritual event.  Based on his previous
attentiveness at this kind of meeting, I'm certain he would have enjoyed it.

President Puerta spoke to all of us.   He began by thanking us for our service and sacrifice.
He spoke of two sisters who live quite a ways out but wanted to serve on Saturday mornings.
So they ride their bicycles to the temple on Friday afternoon, stay overnight 
at the Temple housing complex, and ride back home on Saturday afternoon.
This is the only possible way for them to serve at the temple and they were happy to do it.

Then he told a story about a man that he knew who lives in Campinas.  He often comes
to the São Paulo temple even though there is another temple in his city.
Pres. Puerta asked him one day, why he drives 1.5 hours to attend São Paulo temple.
He just replied that this temple had special meaning to him.

That day he was early for the next session so while he waited in the lobby, 
he chatted with a woman who's family was baptized when she was a teen.  
She told the man that she had been praying that someday she would meet the 
former missionary that had baptized her so that she could
properly thank him for changing her life.  After a short conversation, it was determined that
this brother was actually that same missionary. ~

What a "tender mercy" and happy reunion that must have been.


After Pres. Puerta's talk there was more marvelous music.

After the meeting and refreshments, each "shift" took a turn to gather
on the front lawn of the church for a group photo.
We were a large, good looking group but the photo print we received
was regrettably too small to duplicate for publication here.


~

This is the former first counselor and his wife.
Francily and Aldo Francesconi

This couple recently was called to serve as the 
President and Matron of the Porto Alegre, Brazil Temple

So, as they prepared to leave us, they wrote this message to all of the ordinance workers.

In the last thirty-two months, we had the privilege to live and serve in this 
Holy Temple in the sweet company of each of you.
You have enriched us with your kindness, affection, and dedication.

Many of you crossing the city of São Paulo, coming from so far away.
 Waking up so early or arriving so late in your homes 
after a self-sacrificing work shift have given your best. You are our heroes.

We already miss every single face and every single smile that made our stay at the Temple a unique and singular moment of our lives. We love each one of you and can only say see you soon.

"Friends are not sealed in the temple but are eternal."


I was so touched by the note that I felt compelled to reply. 
 The message was in Portuguese so I had my teacher Kryz, translate it and 
then she helped me to answer in Portuguese.

The following is the English version of my thank you letter to her.
It helps describe my feelings towards her.


thank you letter

DDear Sister Francesconi,Dear Sister Fransesconi,

Dear Sister Francesconi,

Dear Sister Francesconi,

     I want to thank you very much for your kindness and friendship.  I am sad to see you leave São Paulo.  The church members in Porto Alegre are very fortunate to have you there!
    
      When I started working at the Sao Paulo temple, you were one of the first people who spoke to me.  As an American, I was so relieved you could speak English, enough to encourage and reassure me that my experience in the temple would be welcome and valuable.  I have enjoyed watching and listening to you and your husband as you provided training to all of the temple ordinance workers.  It is so wonderful to see how your husband demonstrates his complete love and devotion to you.  Through some translating,  I have listened to your stories.  I especially loved the one about you traveling and surprising your Canadian grandchildren by hiding in their closet!  I was also deeply touched when you sang "Where is Heaven" in your lovely Portuguese singing voice.  Your counsel to the sister ordinance workers has been thorough but also very kind, loving and patient, especially with me.
     
     I sincerely hope that I may one day see you again.  Thank you again for allowing and providing this amazing opportunity to serve with you and all the others at our beautiful Sao Paulo temple.

With love,
Sister Robyn Hall

(since writing this, we have become FB friends :)


In previous months, I had listened to this couple tell inspiring stories.
often while standing together at the podium.
I have rarely met a more devoted and loving couple.
Each time they meet he greets her with a kiss on the cheek and a smile.
It's easy to see why he loves her so much.

She warmed everyone's heart by singing, without accompaniment,
"Where is Heaven" in Portuguese.  As far as I know, there has not ever been
a musical number during the early morning devotionals.  
She explained that she wanted to share this song that she had sung
to her grandchildren on a recent visit to Toronto, Canada.
 Each time the temple is closed for cleaning they visit there.
This last time, they wanted to the children to be surprised that they had come 
and hid in the closet of one of their bedrooms. 
They had the privilege of listening to a precious conversation 
between the children without being seen. 
It made them think of how our Heavenly Father may feel as he is aware of
our actions, comings, and goings and our relationships.
He is so anxious as these grandparents were to say:
"Here I am!  I am right here with you!  You are loved beyond words.
Please, come to me~"

Then, of course, they couldn't stand it another minute and made some sort of noise 
so the children would - open the door....... You can imagine the rest of the story...

When I first met Sister Francesconi, her hair was shoulder length.
A few weeks later she made me laugh and said that my cute, short haircut 
had inspired her to cut hers off.
She said she was a little disappointed it didn't turn out quite like mine.. ;)


recent photo from Porto Alegre

This woman reminds me of a quote from David Brooks

"About once a month I run across a person who radiates an inner light.
These people can be in any walk of life.  They seem deeply good.  
They listen well. They make you feel funny and valued.  
You often catch them looking after other people and as they do so
 their laugh is musical and their manner is infused with gratitude.
They are not thinking about what wonderful work they are doing.
They are not thinking about themselves at all."

There are a few people who go way beyond regular "nice".
She is one of the sweetest, kindest people I know.

I hope I can be like her when I grow up.


I have come to love so many of these Brazilian women; 
at the temple and the CTM.
Many of them speak some English but when they speak to "a group"
there is a lot that I miss.  It seems especially painful when they are telling
a funny story and I just don't really "get it".
Sometimes, they will attempt an explanation but not everything translates well.
I feel their spirit, their love, their humor, but even though I want to be,
and I desperately try, I'm not totally included - because of this "barrier".

My heart goes out to all who have immigrated
 or served missions to Utah from foreign lands.

~

So now the Peurtas have recently  been released :(
October 2015
They too distributed a thank you card with these words from a familiar hymn
"Each Life that Touches Ours for Good"
will now have new meaning for me !

  1. 2. What greater gift dost thou bestow,
    What greater goodness can we know
    Than Christlike friends, whose gentle ways
    Strengthen our faith, enrich our days.

    3. When such a friend from us departs,
    We hold forever in our hearts
    A sweet and hallowed memory,
    Bringing us nearer, Lord, to thee.

                                  (and now another Facebook friend)



                           
                                                  ~
A new President and his wife have been called.

Monica and Fernando Silva

President Silva is a former church employee in Salt Lake City.
They are both native Brazilians but have lived in Salt Lake for many years.
So, fluent bi-lingual temple president  and matron will be very helpful 
for future Americans or other English speakers, 
who want to serve and/or attend this temple.

I recently met them and they are perfect for this job.
Already making some needed changes in temple logistics.
They are also overflowing with love and enthusiasm
for all of us and the temple.

~

All this Temple President talk makes me 
remember our beloved President Hal Johnson.
He was Craig's mission president in Rio de Janeiro, 
Brazil North Mission in 1969-1971.


He later returned to Brazil to be the São Paulo Temple President 
with his darling wife, Virginia in 1984-1987.
I think about and imagine the two of them, 
walking the hallowed halls of this temple.

Before he passed away in 2004,  he and his wife and often his children
who lived in Rio with them, would travel from Idaho Falls or Brazil to Orem, UT
almost every year, for the missionary reunions.
Each time they would visit, remember, ask about our children.
They kept a HUGE scrapbook that they brought each time to display,
of cards and letters and photos that they continue to receive from all of us.
It was fun to look at and find our own as well as other friends in the book.

We understand that Virginia is still alive, but not well.
Their amazing legacy lives on in Brazil and all over the world 
where their missionaries live.  
Several have served as mission presidents in Brazil as well.
They had the best teacher possible.

The annual spring reunions continue until ?????
Every time we have gone, it's a different mix of return missionaries.
We look forward to attending this next year.



No comments:

Post a Comment