Thursday, October 29, 2015

Casa de Glória

As an ordinance worker in the Sao Paulo temple, I attend a special 
devotional and training meeting before our shift starts.

The meeting is conducted in Portuguese, of course.  
When I began my service last year, Elder Ferguson was so helpful in
translating the most important details that were discussed.


two favorite photos of Jill and Craig Ferguson



Elder and Sister Ferguson were the only other American, temple missionaries there.
We often walked together in the mornings to arrive for our 8:00 am meeting.
We would travel the back roads through the neighborhood for a
lovely walk without the noise of traffic.
During these walks, they taught me much about temple service.  They had previously
served in the Mesa, Temple and while they waited for their Brazilian visas,
lived in Salt Lake and had intense training in the SL Temple.

He told me many stories of his initial frustrations as they served in Mesa,
and how he overcame his challenges.
After expressing some of my concerns, he gave me good counsel.

If someone seems offended or disappointed in you or if you have been "corrected"
about something, don't fret about it. Because you are nervous or self-conscious,
and/or because of the language barrier, you may have misinterpreted their reaction.
If you are doing your best, you can feel good about your efforts.
Don't worry about everyone's opinions.
Even Jesus Christ couldn't please everyone.


Since Ferguson’s went home, I have managed with the help of 
other temple worker friends, to understand.  And my Portuguese skills 
have improved, slightly - over the last several months.


For each devotional, someone is assigned to recite a scripture from memory.
One week a brother quoted D&C 88:119 and spoke briefly about 
this book that he held in his hands.
Now I'm sitting there on this day, by myself, 
without a helper, listening to the Portuguese scripture; 
but I knew exactly what it was.  One of my favorites:

"Organize yourselves; prepare every needful thing;  and establish a house, 
even a house of prayer, a house of fasting, a house of faith, a house of learning, 
a house of glory, a house of order, a house of God."


I had never seen or heard of this book, but I knew 
I had to get a copy and read it - in English.

Here in São Paulo, we have a Deseret Brasil store.
Brother and Sister Luz, a darling, young Brasilian couple,
run the store for her father who is the owner.
They had lots of Portuguese copies, but she had her dad
pick up an English book for me on his upcoming visit to Utah.

I love this book.  I cannot even tell you how much.
I underlined so much, something on almost every page!


In these pages, Michael Wilcox identifies the blessings
 that temple work brings to our everyday lives. 

He discusses the temple as a house of learning where we
can understand the most powerful principles of the gospel
and receive inspiration for our families and ourselves. 

He explains how the temple is a house of refuge
where we can escape the trials and troubles of the world.

He defines the phrase "house of order" and talks about
how the temple is a house of glory,
describing the wonderful experiences that can come to those that serve there,
and especially to those who labor for their kindred dead.

This is a story that is found in the book.

Parable of the Keys

This 8-minute video explains the simple but full power of the temple.
The you-tube link is at the bottom of  this "post".




A few months later, I was asked to provide the "memorized scripture".
What?  In Portuguese?  Okay, easy.  I just memorized this one about
house of glory and gave it, exactly like a native Brasilian would!
(okay, maybe a little slower than that:)
The rest of that day lots of other workers were speaking to me in 
Portuguese, more than usual, thinking that I was -  fluent!?
Awkward~
Then, at the end of the day, I was called to the front office -  to translate for someone.
Sorry, no - I can't do that!  Good greif~




We always enjoy these "preparation meetings". 
After we meet with all the workers, we split and the women go to another room
for additional information etc.  The matron will sometimes
 announce a birthday and give a card.
Recently a sister heard her name and became very startled!
It had not even occurred to her that it was her birthday that day!
Her reaction was hilarious~ 

It's a pleasant time to be together, even when I don't know what is being said.

Brazilian women are VERY demonstrative in their affections.  
They frequently will greet with a hug and kiss.  
They often will take your hand while sitting or walking together.  
They do this with me a lot because it's their culture but also because they want to 
convey their love in a way they know I will understand.  

It is, in fact, extremely comforting to be among these women every week.
I don't even like to think how much I am going to miss this.




São Paulo temple celestial room
















No comments:

Post a Comment