Monday, August 31, 2015

No Comfort in the Growth Zone

Sunday  "School"

There was a time when I thought/hoped that I could learn my "lessons" in gospel doctrine class on Sunday.  That if I lived a righteous life, then things should go smoothly?!?!
Now - I know differently.  There are so many life lessons to be learned....

Every week we listen to Elders, Sisters and other branch leaders speak, testify and teach.

The following are some things I have learned~

One concept we hear repeatedly is that
"There is no growing in the comfort zone
and no comfort in the growth zone."

This is a good reminder for me - alas -
"comfort" and I are best buddies!




Elder Ferguson taught us that "if you're not on and uphill road, you're on the wrong road"
Remember the "test" in testimony~
He also reminded us as leaders, that it is a Gift from God to serve here..


We have heard some very moving testimonies.

Obviously I don't have a lot of photos of these spiritual moments.
Mostly just these notes for my collection of memories.


*Elder Smedley was a football player from Alabama.  He told a story about one opponent
named "Tiny".   He was hit so violently by Tiny that he "bawled like a baby".
One day at the CTM he was hit hard again, by discouragement and the difficulty of his task.
He found himself alone in the bathroom stall... sobbing and thinking - "Tiny"  was nothing.


*As we sit and observe, I often think of our two sons, Craig and Jeff, 
that we sent to the MTC and to foreign lands.
I better understand now, what and how they must have felt and the challenges they faced.
Makes me want to cry for whatever pain and suffering they endured.
But also am very pleased by their effort and commitment and success.


*Another football story:
You can stay focused at the CTM by thinking about an important game.
You buy a ticket to attend because you love the game. You go to the game.  
You focus on the game. You are not homesick, you are not "missing" anything.
Your eyes, mind and heart are on the field and the game.


*Or a rugby player from New Zealand thinks life is like rugby.
We are all part of the team.
God is the referee, Christ is our coach, the prophet, our captain.
The Book of Mormon is the ball, the Temple is the goal and the trophy is Eternal Life.
Of course Satan is the opponent and scrims are our trials, or practice games.


*At certain times, our branch has had only 
about half English speakers and the rest are Brazilian.  
One Elder was grateful to learn at the CTM about passing the sacrament.
He had been taught in his Brazilian branch that women/girls may not touch the
 bread or water trays or "pass" the sacrament, down the row.  
The priesthood must pass to each member?!

We have witnessed an Elder, full of the spirit, weep while he "broke the bread".


*Another Elder had been on the street, "practice proselyting".
 Realized that he had told someone
that in our church, we baptize dead people.  Interesting visual :)


*This is Christina and Greg Clark
He was formerly Craig's supervisor in the legal office.
They also served at the CTM in a 2nd English Branch.

For a few weeks we combined our branches
and one Sunday they both bore fervent testimony.

When Greg was a teenager he had the opportunity to play the part of
Joseph Smith at the Oakland Temple Pageant.
During that experience he felt the Holy Ghost "electrify" his testimony.
Because he had asked for confirmation that what he was portraying "really happened".
His desires, participation, and involvement brought him an explicit understanding that:

Joseph Smith saw Heavenly Father and His Son.
 That he was a prophet and he translated the Book of Mormon.
That the Priesthood was restored to bring saving ordinances to the Earth.
And most importantly, that Jesus Christ is the Savior of the World.

Christina is a convert from France.  She speaks French, English, Spanish and Portuguese.
She provided valuable help translating for some missionaries who were struggling.
She was a Catholic and was ready to become a nun.  She met Greg and was
taught the gospel.  Her testimony was so heartfelt and tearful.
She is a real "fireball" with a French accent.
She told us "The gospel is true.  It has taught me that God loves me and can be with me
ALL THE TIME.  I had never felt that kind of love before."


*Our boys and girls from Africa are so thrilled to be here.  But they are humble. 
They have made a bigger sacrifice than most to get to this point. 
 Some have no family or friends to write to.  Their culture shock is enormous.
"A shower every day?  What's an alarm clock?  Deodorant? 
 My own bed? Three meals, every day?"
They are living the dream.



* Elder Bindanda from the Congo, described to us how when
his father learned his son had joined the church, he burned all the boys' belongings.


*Sis. Barreto tells the missionaries that their Portuguese is excellent, 
but their spirit is outstanding.  It is their spirit that will help teach the truth.

 She also explained to us about how a mother wants her child to learn to play the piano.
The child is usually willing at the beginning.
  But the mother has to continually coax the child to practice.
Because she sees the potential of the child.  She wants the child to be better.
Just like Heavenly Father wants us to keep "practicing", 
making mistakes, learning, progressing.
Because he knows our potential.  - But - we keep complaining-


*Pres. Barreto is a humble man.  Baptized in Brazil at 13.
He clarified that the success of a missionary
is measured only by his commitment.
These were comforting words to me because I often do not feel "successful".
Especially in being able to speak to Brazilians in their language.
But I am firm in my commitment to do my best.

One week we had a few extra minutes at the end of a multi-language Sacrament meeting.
Pres. Barreto asked all of us to sing I Am a Child of God in our "first" language.
I hadn't sung that song in English for a long time and
I was surprised at how comforting, spiritual and emotional it felt.
This indeed, is the language of my heart.
~but how beautiful it all sounded~



*Bro. and Sis. Bassi serve at the CTM on Sundays also.
She is the 1st counselor RS Presidency and he is the 1st counselor CTM Presidency 
Nilce, a favorite speaker/teacher explains
 that our fears remind us of our dependence on God.
That we can only learn by failing. 
 Failing is a very important part of our quest for perfection.
Through the atonement, everything can be "fixed".


*We are counseled often of "exact obedience".  And "Don't take the constant
companionship of the Holy Ghost for granted.  It comes with a great price."

"The commandments are like the string of a kite.  That's what keeps us in the air."
Imagine our lives without that "anchor" and protection~



*Some North American missionaries go to the Provo MTC while waiting for their visa, 
then go to another mission somewhere in the U.S. to serve while they wait some more.  
Then make the further adjustment to return to CTM for more training.... 
then out to serve for the balance of their time, in Brazil.
 That's a lot of major transitions in a short two years.  Most, happily adapt~


*Pres. Swensen taught that Heavenly Father loves each of us as his "favorite".
He has that capability of infinite love.
And Christ is our perfect example of how to love.

He also describes how missionaries can teach your family while serving a mission.
Some come as the only member in their family.
One Elder wrote home each week about what he and his companion had taught.
A different principle each week.  When he returned home, his father surprised the Elder by asking him to baptize him as soon as possible, before his official "release".
 He had learned the gospel from his son and he was ready 
and wanted to be his son's final mission "baptism".


*One Elder tells of the honor in wearing his missionary name tag.
He is happy to be a representative to the two names found there.
The name of Jesus Christ  -  and his family name.


********
I rarely bear my testimony publicly, spontaneously.
When I do get the urge, it's because my heart feels so full ...
so full of the spirit, I feel overcome with gratitude, clarity and certitude.
When that happens, it becomes extremely difficult to gather and organize my thoughts.
Expression and description feels beyond words and becomes - intimidating.
So I resist, usually.    Occasionally, I cannot  -  resist.

I must testify - that I know God lives and that he loves me.
Jesus Christ is his Son and my brother.
They both, with the help of the Holy Ghost direct, protect, guide, reveal,
 comfort, reassure, support, encourage, assist, correct, forgive
 and sometimes over-rule my thoughtless acts. 

I depend on Heavenly help in all of my choices, in all of my challenges.

 I often feel the presence of angels;
 dear family and friends, from both sides of the veil,
and from all around the world,
 to love, provide and reside with me.

I am grateful for the opportunity to serve here with humility and love.

********







No comments:

Post a Comment